CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Sunday Scribblings #1

My chance meeting came about two years ago when I went on a trip back to my hometown. My husband and I just got off of the plane, rented a car and drove the 30 minutes to the tiny dot on the map from which I was raised. I stopped in the local Walmart to pick up all the necessities that are forbidden on planes, just as I was to plop down my super sized bottle of shampoo and conditioner I look over and it was my childhood best friend. We left things on rocky terms when I left home for the sparkle and dazzle of Los Angeles and I was so nervous to talk to her. I said hell, she had a baby in tow, which happened to be hers, information which I was not privy to... So many emotions came up: Guilt, because this girl was a true best friend, we did everything together, knew everything about each other and I honestly felt we would have a friendship that lasted the test of time. Anger, because I did not even know she was pregnant let alone with a 8 month old. Happiness, because just seeing her makes me feel good. Awkwardness, where do you begin after 8 years? I knew that we would never have a friendship again. It was over, we have grown apart... I still haven't heard anything from her and I think I have come to terms with that now. I still think of her often, but she was a great part of my life, I'll never forget her.

6 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

It does not always happen that way. I met one of my close friends after 17 years. We get along as if we never parted. I cherish our friendship very much.


defining boundaries

Anonymous said...

You have the start of a great story here! A nice read

Michele said...

This is interesting, hearing all the feelings and thoughts you had upon seeing your old friend. Did you two talk when you saw her?

Shannon said...

Yes, but it was strained, I don't think either one of us at the time knew where to begin. We were out of each other's lives for some pretty important moments and it was hard to say much more than superficial things.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

There are so many ways now to keep up with someone you've fallen out of touch with. Don't let it go so easily!

Jennifer Hicks said...

sounds a little painful. will you follow up with her again? going separate ways can bring so much up.