CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 11, 2008

My Oldest Friend (Sunday Scribblings)

It is 3:30pm and we would be jumping off of the bus. We would run to her house (it was closer) slamming the door and running past her mom we would fly into her bedroom oasis to sit and watch after school cartoons: Beetlejuice, Ducktales and Tiny Toons were our favorites. Sometime before Beetlejuice was over I would call my mom to let her know I was ‘home’ and would be up as soon as the cartoons were over.

I was in the 4th grade when Brandy moved into my neighborhood and we became best friends almost immediately. She was a year older, beautiful, teased her hair, wore makeup, shaved her legs and she was my best friend.

We got into lots of trouble in those few years her and her family lived in my neighborhood; we got caught skipping school, smoking and many other things. But we always remained true to each other, we would never sell the other out, even if it meant a lighter sentence for the other. Even though we were so young and had many friends come in and out of our lives we were always friends. She moved around a lot so we didn’t get to spend much time together after she left my little neighborhood, but we always talked.

To this day it is still true, we have lost contact with each other more times than we can count, but we always manage to find each other and are able to pick up where we left off, like nothing ever changed. She is my oldest friend, a friend I know I will have when I’m 80.

3 comments:

Cherie said...

Hope you find her again soon - Lovely post!

Lilibeth said...

How is it that childhood friends loom so big in our memories? I still think of mine often, although I haven't seen them in years and couldn't tell you where most of them live? how well you illustrate it.

Keith's Ramblings said...

Childhood friendships were special, but back then I guess we had more in common than we do later in life, and have moved in different ditections.