CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thursday Thirteen


Since I will turn 28 on the 13th, here are a list of my favorite birthdays, gifts or birthday parties.


1. I'll start at early one: 1987, my 7th birthday. I had a Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs birthday cake. It was my favorite. It had little plastic figurines of all the dwarfs and Snow (which my mum still has), each of them had something, a wheelbarrow, rake or shovels. It had a little plastic bridge that went over blue icing water.

2. 1995, my 15th birthday. It was held in the local park of my hometown. This was probably the first time all of my friends could make it and we had such a good time. We went on the paddle boats, played mini golf...my mom made really great gift bags for all my girlfriends. Great time!

3. 1999, my 19th birthday. This one was a combo party. It was my birthday, going away, and congratulations on getting married all wrapped up in to one day. Maybe I should explain a little: I was long distance dating this great guy from L.A. and well, we decided it was the right time to get married so, the very next day I was leaving my little hometown for the dazzle of L.A. and ten short days later I was a married woman. None of my family members seen me get hitched, so this party was really beautiful. We had super extended family there, it was also held at the local park. We had the food catered and it just turned out wonderful.

4. 2001, my 21st birthday: My friend from my hometown came out and spent a few weeks with me, so on my birthday we went to a bar (of course) my first one I went to legally. Good times were had by all.

5. I think this was my 24 or 25th birthday. My hubby and I went to Vegas for the first time and went to this little diner called Roxy's which has singers dressed as if they were in the 60s and they sing to you....well he told them it was my birthday and they pulled me to the middle of the floor and sang to me. I was so embarrassed at the time and was shooting the evil eye at my hubby, but now that I look back I wouldn't have changed it for anything.

6. Almost Every year from the time I was about 6 or so I would get ice cream cakes from Dairy Queen, unless they were outdoor parties. If you have never had one, let me just tell you they beat baskin robbins by a mile. They are so good!

7. The menu hardly varied for any of my parties we would have: Sloppy Joes or hamburgers/hotdogs if we had a cookout, cake and ice cream, or just ice cream cake, unlimited chips and soda... You know, the healthy stuff!

8. One year my mom bought me a store bought cake and I kid you not, it had 3 inches of icing on it. It was in the shape of a unicorn, but damn 3 inches???!!!

9. I always loved to rip open my gifts. I never (still don't) understand why people want to lift the tape....then fold it up and then look at the gift.

10. My cousins always had parties at Burger King. I am so thankful that I didn't. My big family parties were always better. :)

11. One year, 1989 my sister who also shares the same birth month, was living in Tennessee and wouldn't be home for her birthday. So since we were already having a party for me we just made signs and got everyone together to take pictures to celebrate her too. It made me feel so good!

12. I was sad on my 20th birthday. That was the first year I wasn't at home for my birthday. My mom would always wake me up and sing happy birthday to me and give me a little present to start the day. It always made me feel so special.

13. My family still calls me every year and sings to me. EVERYONE, even my brother, Mr. Macho! :) I have a few saved on the answering machine, just to listen to every once in a while. :)





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






15 comments:

Maisie said...

I've had those ice cream cakes before and they are great. We had one for Christmas a few years ago. My mom got me a special cake pan to make my own, but it's never turned out right for me - I can't get the cake part done properly.

SandyCarlson said...

You've had some great celebrations. God bless you on your birthday.

Amy Ruttan said...

Mmm, ice cream cake.

I've had many a great birthday too.

Thanks for sharing your memories. :)

Happy TT!

Jenny McB said...

Happy birthday! What a happy 13 to read, especially the part about the ice cream cake. Hope you get one this year.

thank you for stopping by!

DK said...

Dairy Queen ice cream - I haven't had that in years! Thanks for the reminder and for the wonderful list. Have a grand week, and thanks for stopping by my Wedding TT!
DK

Karen said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you've had lots of great birthday memories! The one in Vegas sounds like alot of fun! I'll be 28 next month, so you're just a little older than me. :)

Anonymous said...

#13 is still true for me! My dad was away at work one year, and had all his coworkers leave me a message at midnight :)

I love your list!

Carol said...

Our birthdays are a few days apart...won't say how many decades, though.

Happy birthday!

Robin said...

Mmmm... I haven't had an ice cream cake in years.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday next week. The Snow White cake sounds lovely!!

Pretty Life Online said...

Cool entry for TT! Mine's up too hope you can drop by... Happy TT!

Rebecca said...

Lucky you with the summer birthday! Being a chirstmas baby I've learned not to expect ANYTHING good for my birthday...

So what are you plans for THIS year?

Mozi Esme said...

Those ice cream cakes sound wonderful! Expecting any surprises this time around?

little wing writer said...

have yr cake and eat it too...

Shannon said...

I'm not sure what we are going to do this year. My hubby just tells me it is a surprise. ;) So, we will see!